Let’s get this party started!
Earth Day (Month) is approaching and Eco-Office Gals wants to get as many people as possible on board to grow a little greener. If you’ve been wanting to, trying to, thinking about growing a little greener there’s no better time to do it then now! We don’t want to make you go it alone either. We have once again reached out to our great green cyberspace friends to bring you green products to Green Your World!
Last year Eco-Office Gals Green My World Giveaway was a HUGE hit and we will give it a go again!!
Today, we’ll just get things started. We’ll give you a chance to check out a few of the initial sponsors and a peek at the prizes coming in, look around their sites and get your creative green juices flowing. So, lets get started!
Welcome all our Earth Day Giveaway Sponsors for 2010 and their generous donations to Green Your World (I will be adding to the list throughout the coming weeks!):
- EcoStore USA – Gift basket with 10 products
- Affordable Mineral Make Up – $25 Gift Certificate
- Naked Binder – Set of 9 project binders (one of all colors)
- Ely Organics – $25 eGift Certificate
- BuyGreen.com – $50 Gift Certificate
- Watercheck.biz – Niagara Conservation XSWEK07 Indoor Water Conservation EcoKit
- Kir DeVries – $25 Gift Certificate
- Ecominders – Ecominders Gift Bag – A reusable tote with packages of all 3 Ecominders product lines – Home, Office and Kids & Schools, along with organic cotton adult & children’s Ecominders t-shirts
- Barefoot Books – One World, One Planet Gift Collection
- weeBgreen – 1 kidzsack
- Project GLO – very adorably wrap 3 sets of 5 pens made from biodegradable cardboard and corn plastic!
- Cactus & Ivy – Body Souffle
- Sarva Soap – $25 gift certificate plus 15% coupon off first purchase
- Intention Kits – 1 Intention Kit made on Recycled Paper
- Natural Luxe – $25 eGift Certificate
- HappyFamily Organics – 2 free trials for each product line, 2 free trails for YB Meals, FAQ Guide on organics, HappyFamily Nutrition Guide, HappyFamily Recipes, HappyBaby’s new book “Our Organic guide to the first 24 months
This list is growing by the day sooo… here’s the deal, one person will win it ALL! Put your green recycled thinking caps on since you will need to do a little work! You need to green up your act! Absolutely, no “Thanks for the great giveaway” comments, they WILL be deleted. DO NOT copy and paste someone’s comment as your own, be original. You can enter as many times as you’d like as long as you follow one of the options below. For shipping purposes – US residents only, please. Contest will end April 22nd Earth Day, at 12 noon (EST). One winner will be picked to win the whole thing! This will not be a random drawing, rather the person that really seems to put some effort towards making a difference in their life will be given the chance to make their changes with there great products!
- Pick a green step that will help the environment. Something new, that you are not already doing. Leave a comment about it, or if you post about it on your own blog, provide a link in your comment so we can check it out!
- Leave a comment about any progress and achievements in your green goals, too. Let us know how it’s going!
- Leave a unique tip to be green, chemical free, etc
- Visit the sponsors and let us know how one of their products could help your green up your act. Leave a link to the product so we can all check it out.
- Send out a tweet about the giveaway & consider using the #earthtweet hashtag – be sure to include a link to it.
- Use other Social Networking avenues to get the word out about the giveaway and let us know which ones you did.
- Add the giveaway button to your sidebar and let us know you did. Here’s the code:
<a href=”https://eco-officegals.com/2010/02/14/2nd-annual-green-my-world-earth-day-giveaway-2010/” target=”_blank”><img src=”https://eco-officegals.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/earthday.png” border=”0″ alt=”Green My World”></a>
- Think a product is so awesome on one of our sponsors sites, you can’t wait to win before you buy? Leave 5 separate entries telling us what you bought from who — we will confirm.
Be sure to sign up for Eco-Office Gals RSS by feed or email. I’ll be continuing to bring you information, tips and events from our sponsors and may just throw in a few extra ways to enter as we go along!
Sooooo…. although this years giveaway received 1229 visit I only recieved 163 entries into the giveaway. You would think this would make picking a winner easier right? NO! There were some wonderful comments left by many of you on how you are going green and how you hope to make a lighter impact on the earth in the future. Many of you also did a wonderful job tweeting and sharing to spread the word about this giveaway and all of it’s great sponsors. So, it wasn’t easy to hand pick a winner at all! However as I continued to read through the comments one person started to shine through with their great efforts already in place, their acknowledged need for improvement, helpful tips, genuine thoughts and aspirations for their continued green efforts in the future. So, the winner has been picked!
Ginny – Congrats we are going to Green your world!! Check out her comments:
- So, I am sure this is just the start of my greening and trying to do extra things and “think out of the box”, but I have been very conscious of the chemicals in my products for awhile, but it sometimes seems really hard to really keep on top of it. So, I am going to be creating some of my own skin care products. I bought a book with some recipes and I am buying bottles and organic essential oils so that they are really pure. The bottles are glass so that there is no BPA in them for me or my family. For me going green and being healthy are one and the same. I also have subscriptions to some magazines. I usually recycle them as soon as I am done, but I have some friends who are interested in reading, so we are going to trade between the three of us, all I ask is that they give them back if they have no intention of recycling or that they recycle them when they are done. I am going to start paying more attention to packaging as well. I have noticed that there are some products which cannot be recycled in my area, so I am going to try to make an effort to pay attention to the plastic that is in the packaging, etc. so that it doesn’t go in the trash, it can be recycled.
- So, in addition to what I previously posted I am going to buy a Barnes and Noble Nook…. I am an avid reader and I can save a lot of trees if I go that route. I am also going to take some of my old books that I don’t want to the local thrift store. I need to buy some new clothes because I lost some weight too… I still have more to lose so I don’t want to revamp my whole wardrobe so I will buy some clothes at a consignment shop to get me through. There are new clothes there sometimes and some really good stuff for way cheaper than buying it brand new! And when I lose the weight I want to buy clothes that are organic and made of natural fabrics. This might sound kind of gross too… but I know they make things like the Diva Cup and reusable ladies products, so I have been looking into those options. I am counting the days to the farmer’s market as well so I can buy local, fresh produce. Showers are a hard one for me… I love my showers but I really need to conserve water, so I am trying to keep them to under 7 minutes… I will try to get down to 5 minutes… baby steps right?
- Green Tip: Avoid products with Parabens in them! They are bad for you and your family and they wash down the drain when you use them in the bath!
- Green Tip: Don’t throw medicines/prescriptions in the toilet or down the sink, they contaminate the water supply. There is more information on what to do at fda.gov
- I am looking at getting a composter and rain barrels this year. I am seriously considering taking the local train to work this year, even though it is a 2 mile walk from the station to work, that will be fine. My husband and I have reduced our trash so much that we only have to put the trash bins out every 4-5 weeks, all the rest goes to recycle. I have also noticed that I have been looking more closely to the packaging of food products that we buy… I am trying specifically to look for plastics that can be recycled. I used to buy a handful of organic products when I would shop, now I try to buy as much organic as I can. My mindset is changing I noted the other day because instead of thinking of how much it costs right now, I am thinking of the long term effect. I have also sworn off of aerosols…. even though I never liked the hairsprays that come in the spritzy type bottles, I will use them for the greater good (old habits are hard to break I guess). I am also not using the disposable break items at work anymore. I bought some bamboo utensils to use and a ceramic mug and we bought some glass containers to put our food in that needs to be heated so that we are not exposed to the chemicals in the plastic containers. Whew…. that was quite the novella.
- Green Tip: Eat locally grown foods and eat what is in season! It will reduce your carbon footprint.
- Oh! I forgot! I am really trying to eat more like a vegetarian. I am having mixed success so far, but I am working on eating lower on the food chain overall!
- I will be making bar soap for my hubby and I as well here in a couple of weeks.
- Well…. I watched the movie Food Inc. and man does that make me angry! I think that has been the best diet for me thus far! I am not going to support that kind of thing, that is horrible and we are slowly killing everyone! I subscribed to E magazine (the environmental magazine) and man does that have some good information. I sent in some information to volunteer for environmental data recovery to help for the future. Oh, and I finally hit my goal with the 7 minute shower! Now to move on to 5 minutes! I am really loving this green movement and I am finally fully immersed I think, after going into it gradually for the last couple of years I am at the point where it just makes me angry that we are subjected to the chemicals and such that we are subjected to and it washes into our water and pollutes and ugh!!! So mad…. but happy to that I feel I can make a difference.
- Oh, and my hubby and I are looking into getting solar panels… I don’t know if we can afford it yet, but it is definitely on our list of improvements to make along with replacing the old windows with more efficient ones.
I hope you will all take a bit to read all of the great comments shared by everyone and get inspired to make everyday Earth Day! Thank you all for your efforts! Congrats again Ginny!
And we have heard back from Ginny:
OMG Jennifer!!! I am so happy! This has really made my week you are so awesome! Wow, you really made my day with this one, I am so excited to try everything!!!