One area of your business that is easy to overlook when growing green is your business cards. There are so many cheap, or free options these days. I have been quick to slap some images and text on a template and check out without a second thought of what kind of paper or ink is being used or even the shipping method used to have them brought to my door.
As an ecopreneurists, your most ideal option when going paperless in your office is not to have business cards at all. Personally, I have not ordered business cards for Eco-Office Gals and since I am a 99.9% virtual business, I don’t miss them. Yet, that .01% of the time that I find myself in the “real world” and someone asks what I do, I could kick myself for not having some to hand out.
So, what are your options when paperless is not an option? Here are a few companies that have been recommended or I have come across with a little background from their site:
PrintingForLess – (Use code RP1D6SEJM for $50 OFF your first order, no expiration) This company seems to have taken great care in covering every aspect of sustainability! Beyond being FSC Certified and 100% Wind Powered (from the site)
- Our paper is milled Elemental Chlorine Free. Trees are a renewable resource, but dioxin (used to bleach paper white) is forever!
- Our inks are vegetable-based, primarily soy, which is both gentle on the environment while producing bright, high-quality images.
- We package our products with biodegradable padding materials instead of those that are annoying and harmful to the environment, such as petroleum-based foam “peanuts.”
- We use water-based aqueous coating to protect your printed pieces. It provides a high-gloss surface that deters dirt and fingerprints and is more friendly to our environment than UV coatings.
- We are focused on reducing waste. By using top-grade paper with highly-trained press operators, we have considerably reduced the number of test or “make-ready” sheets needed to run through the presses as we set up your printing project.
Moo.com – Is a fun twist on the business card and they have a 100% Recycled Fiber, Totally recyclable and biodegradable & Totally Chlorine Free (TFC) paper option.
US Business Cards – Eco-Office Gals really loves the idea behind these Cereal Box Cards!
Breakfast Cereal Boxes – Precision cut by guillotine paper cutter. Sharp, clean edges. Randomly cut from popular cereal brands such as Wheaties and Cheerios, plus colorful ones like Fruit Loops. Standard size is 2″ x 3.5″. Printing is on the blank side.
So, next time your business card supply runs low, consider some of the above “greener” options. Additionally, check out this post from Reencoded for fun ideas and design your own green business cards!