By Jane Blanchard via Modernize
When you’re preparing to sell your home, any upgrades that add value are worth your time and effort. One of the hottest trends in real estate is green, sustainable living–making changes to your home that decrease the amount of energy you use and your impact on the environment. Read on to learn more about the best “green” upgrades that not only are kind to the Earth, but add value to your home.
1. Energy-Efficient Appliances: Remodeling your kitchen is a great way to boost your home’s value. You can go the extra mile by choosing Energy Star appliances, which are rated by the federal government as environmentally sound. This makes buyers happy because they’ll see substantial savings on their energy bills–up to 50 percent, according to Gizmodo.
2. GreenSwitches: This revolutionary tech company rewires your home with green outlets that are designed to save energy. While this system only costs between $500 and $1,000 to install depending on the size of your home, the yearly 10 percent savings on energy bills will more than recoup your initial investment.
3. Energy-Efficient Windows: As with appliances, certain types of windows are Energy Star rated by the federal government. According to HGTV, you can expect to recoup 60%-90% of the cost of installation when you choose Energy Star rated replacement windows–and save up to $500 per year on your energy bill.
4. Central Air Conditioning: If you don’t already have central air, installing a system can increase your home’s value by 10 to 20 percent according to Real Simple. What’s more, these systems are much more energy efficient than window units (with an energy-efficiency rating (EER) of 11.5 compared to just 8.5 for non-central air).
5. Green Flooring: Old carpet and other fixtures can hold dust and mold that lower the quality of the air you breathe. And in general, carpet is a turn-off for potential buyers. Boost your home’s value and appeal by replacing wall to wall carpet with environmentally friendly products, such as tile or reclaimed hardwood. The bottom line? According to research by The Appraisal Journal, energy saving upgrades add a whopping 20 times their cost to the value of your home. What’s more, they dramatically increase your home’s appeal to potential buyers by placing you ahead of the curve. While green living is currently a fairly new trend, it’s also the wave of the future.
For more ideas and inspiration, head to Modernize.com.